Saturday 8 January 2022

Coffee Dates

In the latter half of last year I had four coffee dates/meets/catch ups, should have been five but we didn't end up having coffee properly due to her fracturing a wrist and spending a day sat outside the urgent care unit for most of the day. I've recapped as best I can but I will say I enjoy a coffee date as it brings friends together, provides you with date experience which I was sorely lacking and can lead to unexpected adventures.

Dates 1 and 2 are friendships confirmed and renewed

Date 1

My first coffee date was not in fact a date at all. It was a promised meet at the end of August in Nottingham with a fellow tweeter who I have chatted with on and off for many years now. We'd both been through bad times over the past few years and chatted via dm's, checked in on each other to make sure we were doing ok and generally venting when we needed to. We were both in good places emotionally so we knew there'd be no crying on each others shoulders.

As I waited in the centre of Nottingham I became anxious with the usual thoughts 'will she like me', 'will we get on' and my usual one 'will I fuck it up'. I shouldn't have worried though because as soon as we saw each other I knew we'd be fine. A quick hug and small talk and we headed off to grab coffee and a sandwich before wandering the streets of Nottingham for a few hours chatting easily. We stopped in another quiet coffee shop for a second coffee and more chat. Before we knew it the time for me to depart had arrived, we walked to where my car was parked and after more chat we parted ways with a hug. That day I met a good twitter friend and pleased to say we maintain that friendship.

Date 2

Yet again not a date but coffee involved. This time I was meeting up with a fellow tweeter/good friend who I had met a couple of times before near the end of October to help her out. I'd not seen her for a few years due to personal circumstances and timing issues (a running theme with us as our first planned date didn't happen and it took us 4 years to rearrange it). We agreed to meet in the fabulous location of Lakeside Shopping Centre. 

As soon as I saw her and the infectious smile I knew all worries would disappear for a few hours as no matter how I'm feeling emotionally she always cheers me up. As it was busy due to school holiday time we decided to find a quiet coffee shop and sit and chat. And chat we did, we caught up on things and then decided to wander the shops for a bit. We lost track of time but eventually had to part ways, so I walked her to her car, hugged and said goodbye. As I walked back to my car I was content knowing I'd had a good afternoon and helped a wonderful friend out when she needed.

Dates 3 and 4 are actual dates with different outcomes

Date 3

A proper coffee date at the end of October. I'd been chatting with a lady on Bumble for a few days when the mention of a date came up. All my previous chats on dating apps had stumbled when I'd suggested meeting for coffee, so when it was suggested to me I was hesitant but said yes as we had been communicating so well. We decided on a locally owned coffee shop in town on the Saturday morning.

Saturday came and I arrived outside at the time agreed. As I waited the doubt started creeping in, was I doing the right thing? My phone buzzed and a message appeared apologizing for running late and struggling to find the place as she'd not been to this one before. As I looked up from my phone I noticed someone further up the street looking for something, I instantly recognised my date from one of her profile pics and walked up to greet her. We entered the coffee shop and had to sit at a table as all the seating was taken. We ordered a tea, coffee and a scone (with cream and jam) and then proceed to chat about many things for the next two hours. After we hugged goodbye and agreed we had a good time and hoped to do it again soon. We managed to get together for a walking date the next week but have not been able to see each other since due to pre-christmas plans etc. However we do still chat every day and are trying to get that next coffee date sorted.

Update 08/01/2022 - When I started writing this I was not expecting to get a date in before I published it. As I sit here on the Saturday morning I'm positively buzzing from a drinks date in which we opened up about what we wanted and shared our first kiss.

Date 4

Another proper coffee date but this time in the middle of November. I'd been chatting with a lady for a few days after she messaged me on OKCupid. She was quite open about wanting to meet and making the first approach as she felt all things should be equal in dating when it comes to starting a connection. We decided to meet up at a location near her which was an hours drive from me.

We met up in the car park and wandered round the town chatting before settling into a Costa coffee. We sat and continued the chat and eventually the conversation turned to discussing kink at which point we discovered we had a lot in common. Eventually the date came to an end but the conversation continued on text throughout the rest of the day and the next. Alas it was not to be as on the Tuesday I received a text saying she didn't think we were compatible and wished me good luck in finding what I want.



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely collection of coffee dates. I'm particularly fond of seeing Twitter folks meeting up, it's so wonderful to see those friendships extending into real life as well as in our phones/on screens. Thank you so much for joining in with me this weeks, both here and on Twitter, I've loved seeing all your #SWAP tweets :)

    ReplyDelete