Friday 28 January 2022

Celebrations - Past, Present and Future

When I saw the prompt I wasn't sure I'd be able to put something down in writing as I wasn't sure what to write. The past few years I've struggled to celebrate special occasions, mainly due to lockdowns, isolations and the general mood of the past 2 years. Over the years I've had some memorable celebrations so I thought I'd list them or at least what I remember.

18th Birthday 1988

So as birthday parties go this is definitely up there as a memorable one. I thought the planning was meticulous for my 18th birthday, arrangement had been made through friends to have the party at one of their houses. Little did I know that I was being deceived and the real party was being planned under my nose by my friends and my parents. I was delivered to a friends house on the day of the party unaware that I would then be driven back to my own house later in the day for the real party. The party itself was a standard teenage hormone fuelled affair with drinking and loud music. Memorable because the shy bumbling me lost my virginity.

21st Birthday 1991

Drunken games of pool, pizza and a possibility I ran along Southend Seafront wearing nothing but a sock. Memorable because I don't actually remember it clearly.


Wedding Day June 1996

The celebration actually began the day before when I spent part of the evening with some work colleagues in The Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel. Little did I know the significance until the next evening.

The wedding day began with a shaky start as nervousness kicked in I failed to keep food down. The ceremony itself went without a hitch and the wedding lunch went ok, even if I didn't eat much of it. Come the evening and the reception went off without a hitch and I managed to eat something before our first dance so I didn't feint. Leaving the reception we were driven to our hotel and began our married life together. Memorable because I spent the rest of that night pulling bobby pins and gypsophila from my wifes hair whilst watching The Krays on TV (this is the link to the evening before as it was a pub they frequented). Memorable because my first time on a plane was flying to my honeymoon in Jersey the next day.


February 1999

The short lived celebration of the birth of my second child. A birth is a celebration of life but when a child is born with multiple congenital abnormalities it becomes a fraught time for the parents. Looking back I realise that the odds were greatly against us from the start and we were living on hope. This may sound heartless but I know that had he survived it would not have been an easy life or any life at all with the abnormalities. I still celebrate the birthday each year but with tears instead of joy.


30th Birthday 2000

Last big gathering of friends/family before people moved away, split, splintered etc. Memorable because it was old friends, new friends and family all together.


40th Birthdays 2010

Not many people can say they had an orgy for their birthday but that's what happened to me. We were at the swingers club we went to regularly and I was made to sit in a chair in the middle of the bar area and received several lap dances from a couple of the ladies. We then joined 5 other couples in one of the rooms for a very memorable evening of carnal pleasure.


Since then the celebrations have been low key due to various reasons. The most recent major celebration was my daughters 18th birthday in January 2020 where I spent most of the day cooking food for the buffet. A busy day followed by a fun evening. Sadly the only other major birthday that year, my 50th was a quiet subdued affair due to being in lockdown and also being on furlough. To date I've still yet to celebrate it properly and not entirely sure if I will.

I'm not sure what future celebrations will be as my life is very much in flux at the moment. I would like to be able to celebrate the birthday of my new lady friend but as I write this it's only been 3 weeks since we changed the direction of our relationship. This will be the first weekend I've not seen her for at least a few hours due to family functions, but I'm hoping to see her on her birthday to deliver her card. Her present will be delivered to her directly during the day.



3 comments:

  1. You're post brought back memories for me of my own celebrations of many of these milestones. I'm so pleased you shared your celebration of your son too. I haven't had that experience, but I've had my own journey with baby related sadness and I think that we talk about and remember them out loud whenever we feel safe to. I hope you have lots of wonderful celebrations in the future, and fingers crossed for you getting to spend some time with your new friend soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck, missed the typo right at the beginning, Your not your, ugh, I'm going to regret that all day, lol :/

      Delete
    2. Lol don't worry about the typo. Thank you it's not easy but I find my blog quite good when the words flow freely and it helps ease the mind even if for a short while.

      Delete